Feisty ladies! We all give compliments to others every day but how well do we accept and appreciate them? People always have nice things to say to you on a daily basis, if you just listen. If you follow my feisty lady suggestions, even more compliments may come your way. (Who doesn’t like a compliment, anyway? We all do!)
1. Maintain eye contact with the one who compliments you. If you look the person straight in the eye, they know that you have heard their kind, thoughtful words. They will look right back at you and smile. Acknowledging another’s kindness is necessary and an important attribute of being a feisty lady.
2. Thank them. Be gracious when you receive a compliment and the kind words sent your way. Added to the smile mentioned above and you have a great “compliment return strategy”. Yes, feisty ladies do often thank someone for a compliment before they even process the compliment. All feisty ladies can hear kindness and compliments in words even before the sentence is completed.
3. Show pleasure in your face and smile. It brightens up your day and makes the person complimenting you feel good about their words, too. Both of you will remain smiling for a long time after the words are spoken. This is a great feisty lady way to keep your day a positive one.
4. Let them feel good about complimenting you. Wow. They did and said something nice for someone else. Doing for others always makes you feel good. The “compliment-ee” will also keep smiling and have a feisty lady positive day.
5. Always remain emotionally mature and classy. Never belittle anyone who compliments you. Accept graciously and show your class. All feisty ladies that I know are 100% classy, at least most of the time.
Some other non-feisty folks have these negative, down right nasty things to say about compliments:
1. So I looked bad yesterday? I never got a compliment about what I was wearing yesterday and I looked great, so why today? Wonder what they really want or need from me? No good deed goes unpunished with these folks.
2. I hate saying thank you. Usually I just mumble something and walk away from the person. Where are your manners? Guess that you left them at home today or were you ever taught them? Shame on you.
3. I just get totally embarrassed by compliments so I never respond when someone says something nice to me. I can spot a liar at 10 feet but these folk presume everyone is a liar. Just for once, listen carefully and watch closely what the person complimenting is doing. Your instincts, if they are working, will let you know if the praise is genuine or not; most times it is.
4. I let the person complimenting me wonder if I even heard their words so they can feel as confused as I did. What was their ulterior motive? What did they really want? Why compliment me now when they never did before? Get over your negativity and think positive for a change. Life just might surprise you if you do.
5. I am in a crappy mood anyway so anything anyone says to me will have me wondering, ” what do they really need from me?” Maybe your mood and attitude are the real problems. Grow up for a change and accept someone else’s kind words. They could help you become more positive and feisty like the rest of us.
6. I always respond to a compliment with sarcasm. I cannot accept kind words from people who really do not mean it anyway. How do you know what people really mean if you start out with that attitude.
So feisty ladies, follow my “complimenting tips” listed above. Avoid being like the non-feisty folks in the second section. We all need compliments every day in life. Practice what your preach, feisty ladies, and give some worthy, genuine compliments today!